Category Archives: Events
Halloween is considered the third biggest party day of the year! It’s a festive holiday that children and adults can both participate in. We know all about the American traditions for Halloween but how exactly did it all get started? We didn’t really think Hershey created it so we did a little research and put together some fun facts for you.
- Halloween is on October 31st because it’s the last day of the Celtic calendar
- It was originally a pagan holiday honoring the dead
- Was referred to as ‘All Hallows Eve’ and it dates back 2,000 years
- Roots lay in the Celtic feast of Samhain “Summers end”, which was a day to honor the dead
- It is also the eve of ‘All Saints Day’ which was created by Christians to convert pagans.
- The Celts believed the souls of the dead roamed the streets & since not all of them were friendly they put out gifs & treats to make them happy. This is where some think trick-or-treating came from.
- Jack-o-lanterns comes from the old Irish tradition of carving turnips into lanterns as a way to remember the souls held in purgatory
- In Scotland and Ireland, Guising — children disguised in costume going from door to door for food or coins — is a traditional Halloween custom
- Candy apples are usually associated with the holiday because of the annual apple harvest happening the same time of year.